Friday, December 18, 2020

2020 in Review

I feel like 2020 was like Sealab 2021 and I’m hoping 2021 will be like Sealab 2020. 


I’ve spent a lot of time in quarantine - 10 months. But in that time I’ve tried to turn isolation into positivity. I’ve got a draft of a book written up and working through my second; hopefully more to share about those in the future. I’ve started this blog; a long overdue habit. I’ve finished reading through Donald Crafton’s Before Mickey and am halfway through Storming the Magic Kingdom by John Taylor. I’ve also acquired quite a few more books on animation history. I have watched and grown a new affinity for a lot of early animation, a bunch of specialty discs from Thunderbean and the Cartoon Roots series by Tommy Stathes (even got to assist Tommy in setting up some livestreaming early on in the Pandemic). I watched some awesome documentaries, even got myself a replacement copy of Giant Robo and some new pairs of glasses. I even started consistently watching Sumo, which is something I’ve always meant to keep up on (the January Basho is looking to be a good one!).


Pictured - 30 BluRays from Thunderbean, Three of Tommy Stathes' Cartoon Roots, Giant Robo - The Perfect Collection, John Canemaker - Marching to a Different Toon, Spike & Mike - Animation Outlaws, Not for Resale: A Video Game Store Documentary, Donald Crafton's Before Mickey and John Taylor's Storming the Magic Kingdom.

But I look forward to 2021; primarily because of a new start in a lot of regards. A new administration, a new vaccine; hopefully lots of events with ASIFA, friends and colleagues. New projects to pursue.


This past year has taught me a lot about who I am, what I want to achieve and accomplish, and who to spend my time with. Hopefully the time away from others has served you well, too. 


I hope you, dear reader, find peace this holiday season. I hope you stay safe. I appreciate you joining me as I have started this new blogging habit. I look forward to discussing lots of interesting animation topics in 2021 and beyond; I have a lot of topics to write about already planned. 


I will talk to you again on January 4th, 2021. Until then~

No comments:

Post a Comment