Monday, January 18, 2021

Animated Bookmarks - The Internet is the Closest Thing We’ve Come to Permanence

“The Internet never forgets”

When I was younger watching the Internet become mainstream and slowly become the powerhouse of communication and business we see today, I admit I was more optimistic of its impact on our humanity. I did not expect fringe nationalistic and disinformation groups to hijack the composite of all of mankind’s knowledge to further their own agendas and political ambitions let alone coopt civil rights movements for their own nefarious means. 


Not that the Internet hasn’t accomplished a lot of good, it has. But the negative aspects were never something I anticipated. 



I have been bookmarking articles of interest and printing them out for posterity for a couple years now. One reason, to slowly build a small repository of unique and interesting articles detailing the minutiae of animation history over time. The other because the Internet is not permanent. Internet hosts can change, servers can quit working, and mass consumption of social media can move over time (I miss you, LiveJournal). 


I’ve quit printing out the articles I have found because….ink is expensive. I wish that wasn’t the prohibitive motive for my discontinuation of what I deem an important hobby, but it is what it is. 


So for the next few blog posts I will begin to chronicle a few of my current bookmarks that date back a few years to a long time ago. A highlight of moments in animation history I thought were too important not to take note of. And before they disappear off the Internet forever. 




The Original Rugrat: ​Paul Germain

Written by Brandon Swofford


This interview with Paul Germain from 2018 is a bit by the books, but still a quick and neat interview with a cornerstone of 90’s animation. Paul has a tumblr, though it hasn’t been updated in a while. His tumblr is a more thorough peak into the creative process and the pros and cons of the industrial animation machine. Though, if you’re prone to teeth grinding when the same questions are asked repetitively, it might be best to jump around the blog to interesting blog entries. 



by Alex Tolkin

Concise timelines of animation history, especially ones that are accurate of their origin, are fascinating to me. Tolkin’s is a quick, dirty, and concise recap of 100 years of animation. It’s a good introductory primer that could lead you further into the halls of history. My animated film knowledge is subpar compared to my general understanding of television production, but this blog does a great job highlighting the milestones throughout the 20th century. 



A Conversation with Hoyt Curtin

By Gary Karpinski


Interviews that occurred before 2000 all were pretty much treading the same ground. Since there was no repository of information to gleam what had and hadn’t been asked, repetitive questions were often reasked multiple times to interviewees (when did you start working, where was it, how did you get into the business, etc.). This 1999 interview with composer Hoyt Curtin from 2000 is quaint and an artifact from days gone by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment