Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Tales of Uncle Remus Album

About two years ago, I attended a yearly garage sale hosted by an album seller (Of course, he didn’t hold one last year due to the pandemic and has since retired). He had over 10,000 albums that he sold during his yearly garage sale, as well as at a vinyl swap held bi-monthly in South Bend. His collection is extensive. I've bought many animation themed albums from him (and will share in the coming weeks). 

One of the coolest things I’ve bought from him is the Tales of Uncle Remus for Children from Capitol Records. 



Unfortunately, it is missing one of the three albums contained within, and the third record has a chunk missing out of the edge. As such, I got it for a good deal! 


The reason I am excited to share this album is because I finally got my hands on Disney’s Song of the South. If you are unfamiliar, it is the only Disney film that has never seen home media release in the United States due to perceived racial stereotypes. Even upon its release, it was met with great controversy. Jim Korkis wrote a great book on the film, Who's Afraid of the Song of the South? And Other Forbidden Disney Stories



That being said, Disney animator Floyd Norman has been a respectfully staunch proponent of the film’s release as well as Whoopi Goldberg.


I have yet to see the film, but now that I have it, I look forward to finally viewing what has caused Disney to have a PR headache for the last 80 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment