Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Innocence and the Text Between the Lines

One of my favorite franchises is Ghost in the Shell and, specifically, the second movie, Innocence (though Stand Alone Complex is right there next to it; don’t make me pick). Innocence is such a meticulously and beautifully crafted film. Every scene oozes with world building details. The far future is so thoroughly thought out, not with sentimentality or optimism, but with realism; that while technology changes, human nature doesn’t. As a species we’ve always struggled and we will continue to struggle well into the future, regardless of scientific achievements. 

When I was in my teens, I rewatched the film probably a dozen times over. On one viewing, I wondered about the etymology of the name of the antagonist corporation, “Locus Solus”. I had thought it was Latin and a simple search would yield a translation and I would move on with a small bit of trivia in my back pocket. Instead, my research yielded a whole new world of surrealism, poetry and a newfound appreciation of Innocence. 



My copy of Locus Solus. Paperback Reprint, Revised Edition. Alma Books. 2012. 
ISBN-10: 1847492738 ISBN-13: 9781847492739

"Locus Solus" is not Latin. It is the title of a French book from 1914 by Raymond Roussel. Roussel’s life story is sad; impoverished throughout his life, he committed suicide in his 50’s. His work would only find success after his death. Locus Solus is his most famous creation (and even it is fairly obscure). He is considered a forerunner of the surrealist movement in France during the early 20th century. 


Locus Solus is about a brilliant recluse, Martial Canterel, who has invited over reporters from around the world to enter his mansion of inventions and artifacts. Think Willy Wonka of the scientific world. As Cantarel guides the tour of journalists throughout his home, he explains the origin and story behind each object of intrigue allowing Roussel to dive into the history of each object, a short story in their own right. As the tour continues, the inventions and artifacts become more detailed and surreal. 


I was shocked and delighted to find out that the second act of Innocence borrowed heavily from Locus Solus


As I continued to learn more about Roussel and his works I discovered that in the 1960’s a journal of experimental poetry (and manifesto) was published with the title of "Locus Solus". I have had the pleasure to read the five-volume journal twice while I attended Purdue University, until they pulled the compilation and sold it without warning (I’m still hurt over it). The blog, RealityStudio, does a great job explaining the journal’s importance and impact.



My copy of the 2009 Steelbook DVD Bandai release.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence would ingrain in me a devil in the details attitude. No detail in an animated project is too tiny to be considered, as it may, in fact, lead to the discovery of new works you would not have necessarily discovered on your own or artists you might not have met otherwise. Roussel’s Locus Solus has been reprinted and is readily available throughout book stores and online (in French) at Project Gutenberg.


Sources:

https://realitystudio.org/bibliographic-bunker/locus-solus/

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19149/19149-h/19149-h.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment